Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mr. Moe Got Married

One of Dennis’ closest friends got married this past weekend. He married a very lovely girl whom I hope to get to know better in coming years. It was an eventful weekend, my “coming out” of sorts from the blur that were the first six weeks after Annabelle was born, and a rare chance for Dennis and I to visit with friends he/we haven’t seen since his Ames days. Plus, we got to show off our kids and relish in a bit of pride over our new family.

A few noteworthy things occurred, which really made the weekend memorable for different reasons than I originally anticipated…

1. I know now why people hire nannies. Schlepping two young children around on a very tight schedule when Daddy is otherwise occupied with wedding party responsibilities is hard work – especially when one child is nourished parasitically. I felt like “the crazy stroller lady,” as I was the only one the entire weekend pushing around a double stroller the size of a VW bug. Thank you again, Miranda, for rescuing me at the reception when we rolled in with 250 people looking sympathetically at us and secretly hoping we weren’t going to attempt to squeeze into their table for lunch.

2. The Super 8 sucks. Remember when you could leave three dollars in quarters to buy cold, fresh juice from the vending machine for your toddler on top of the armoire when you left the room and expect it to still be there when you returned? Apparently those days are over, especially at the Ames Super 8 where Najeem – the manager whose, by the way, Indian food/curry-eating habits stunk up our entire room the whole weekend – could give a rat if the cleaning people took your three dollars. “Must have been a tip,” he says. Uh huh. It’s not the $3 we take issue with, it’s the principle of honesty.

3. 10 months on, 10 months off. I really wanted to look great for Dennis at this wedding. I looked high and low for the perfect dress that would match the groomsmen tuxedos while hiding my protruding, deflated mommy belly. I did OK on the first goal. But as far as hiding the belly, total defeat. Pictures taken at the reception sorely reminded me that it’s a long, hard road back to one’s original figure after the roller coaster of having two children in three years. Maybe the clichĂ© should be, “10 months to put the weight on, five years of starvation, overexertion, self-defeat and sacrifice to take it off.”

4. Not everyone has a God story. At the reception, I was asked quite pointedly, “What is your God story?” At first, I thought it was a joke, but I quickly realized this question was posed with great sincerity. I clumsily assembled the highlights of my Christian journey, using as many catch phrases that could come to mind without preparation. After starting with “cradle Catholic,” I realized that not everyone has a born-again story of great epiphany to share why they believe what they do. How do they answer that question? “My parents had me baptized and I’ve believed in God ever since.” Guess that’s about it. How anticlimactic. But, does everyone really have to razzle dazzle each other with how God came into their life? Is one’s faith incomplete without having a cataclysmic event that revolutionized their belief system? I’m not sure that’s how God wanted our witnessing to play out – but maybe I’m wrong.

5. I have oral diarrhea. I’ve had this condition since I was a very young child, although it was more in the form of endless chatter. Nowadays, I more so lack a filtering system, allowing whatever happens to cross my mind – meaningful or not, appropriate or not, funny or not, etc. – to dribble painfully out of my mouth. In short, I say things without thinking. Why? Often in a feeble attempt at humor. Sometimes in an awkward struggle to fill dead air. ALWAYS to the dismay of my husband. I know my oral diarrhea has leaked into a conversation when I look over at Dennis and he is shaking his head in shame. Sorry, honey. I really am trying to reel it in.

6. I actually have an audience! THANK YOU Heather and Faith for telling me that you actually read and enjoy my blog!! You may very well be my only two readers, but it was really flattering to hear that someone actually benefits from my ramblings once in awhile. You have inspired me to keep it slightly more updated, although don’t expect too much!

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend, and we are so pleased to see Shane and Debbie so happy. Mostly, we are delighted to have found the ONLY Baskin-Robbins in the entire state of Iowa – uh, I mean, most delighted to spend quality time with so many dear friends and family. Man, that oral diarrhea strikes again…

1 comment:

Faith said...

Yes, Rebecca, we do love the blog and it was nice spending a little more time with you outside of cyberworld.

Don't worry about being the one hauling the kids around. Eric and I are the childless ones in our Indiana group of friends, and I predict next time we cross paths you won't be the only one trekking strollers and the like everywhere (I feel that I should clarify that I'm not announcing a pregnancy, just acknowledging that children will be in our future).

Maybe if you're lucky, you'll get to look down your noses at those of us still needing bottles and multiple naps to satiate our children as you send yours off to play or to read quietly in the corner...