We were late to church today, so we had no alternative but to sit in the cry room. We usually try to bribe and/or tranquilize our children enough to keep them quiet for the hour and a half of church so as to avoid this germ-infested, closet-sized room, which usually houses all of the kids who are so bad (or whose parents are so laissez-faire – but that’s another issue for another entry) that they cannot be tolerated in the general sanctuary. But, today we were late, so banished to the cry closet were we.We only had to share the space with a family with three boys. Unfortunately, these were the type of aforementioned children who could not control themselves from causing a scene in church. However, between the shrieking and sibling rivalry going on behind us, I was able to catch a snippet of Fr. Mike’s sermon today. I think there’s a reason why God parted the waters of noise pollution for me to catch His classic but poignant message.
Today’s reading included Luke 10:27, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind;” and, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” The passage about what it’s all about.
Father talked about how homeless people and social outcasts constantly come to the church door asking for money. At first, he’ll open the door and give the poor soul a few moments of his time, prayer and $10 for food or shelter. As he returns to his quarters, a voice in his head says, “You fool. He is just going to spend that $10 on drugs and alcohol, not on food or shelter as he needs.”
So, the next time there is a rap on the door, he peeks through the eyehole and sees another outcast. With sternness and severity, he doesn’t open the door and thinks to himself, “I’m not going to give him anything because he is going to waste my generosity foolishly.” But then, another little voice in his head – a more powerful voice – says, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.” (Matthew 25:35)
“Lord,” Father anguished, “What am I to do? It seems like I just can’t win!” But the Lord replies, “You’re not supposed to win, my son. You are supposed to love.”
Whammo, there it is.
My life has been a little disheveled lately. My faith life has been put on the back burner, to say the least. I’ve been beating myself up for being someone I’m not very pleased with, who doesn’t say the right things at the right time, do the right things the right way or provide the right things to the right people. I’ve been awfully caught up in so many details that Luke 10:27 tells me don’t matter a’tall.
All we’re asked to do is love. Love with everything we’ve got. And, while our enemy constantly attempts to exhaust our attempts, it is only by continuing to love wholeheartedly that we do win in the end. And that which we win is no prize found here on earth.
So, I’d like to thank little screaming Zion who took a 30-second break to allow Fr. Mike’s message to resonate with me. It was all the glimpse of sermon I needed to refresh my priorities and remember what I am utmost called to do… love.

1 comment:
This is amazing, baby-doll. You are an amazing writer. Love You!
Dennis
Post a Comment