Thursday, August 16, 2007

Summer Mourning

Come tomorrow, my summer vacation is officially over. My past week has been spent cramming in as much quality time as humanly possible with Frankie and Annabelle. Teaching’s greatest advantages are June, July and August; yet, I have come to learn that summer vacations are bittersweet times. Just when I grew accustomed to stay-at-home motherhood, my time is snatched away and rededicated to full-time teaching. However, rather than looking pessimistically upon these days, I can’t help but reflect on all the unforgettable memories we made together this summer…

First and foremost, Annabelle was born. I am again humbled by the unbelievable blessing God has showered upon us, and amazed at how such flawed parents can create and be entrusted with absolute perfection.

Together as a family, we visited the zoo and saw all the animals we’ve been learning about in picture books. The highlight was a train ride around the park, and Frankie’s subsequent obsession with all things “choo choo.” Annabelle slept through the entire adventure.

Together, we walked the mile loop around our neighborhood. We bird, bunny, squirrel, chipmunk and doggie watched from our living room window. We learned how much fun it is to jump on Mommy and Daddy’s bed. We pureed an entire watermelon into super yummy smoothies and sorbet. We overcame our fear of the vacuum cleaner. We learned our colors and how to count to five (almost) entirely by ourself. We played for hours at the mall play park, and for two weeks afterwards, nursed the summer colds all the germs gave us. We watched the giant choo choo (aka tractor) mow the park lawn behind our house every Wednesday morning at 9 a.m., and celebrated the very exciting truck that takes our trash away every Thursday morning.

Together, we learned that wearing seatbelts is important for safety, and that almost-two-year-olds don’t care much about safety. We discovered that sometimes when we return home after running errands, mail magically appears in our mailbox. We mastered the technique of coloring, sometimes even on paper. We learned how to clink our glasses and "Cheers!" We decided that snuggling on the couch with our special snuggle blanket is one of the happiest places we could ever be. And, we learned that missing Daddy so much that it hurts when he’s away at work sometimes seems to bring him home a little faster.

This morning, in a desperate attempt to prolong our freedom, we went out for a quick shopping trip. On the drive back, Frankie’s movie ended, and for whatever reason I didn’t turn the audio back to a radio station. Everyone was quiet for a change, and we drove along in a peaceful silence. I heard Annabelle sipping at her thumb, presumably dozing off to sleep. I looked back at Frankie in the rear-view mirror as he covertly observed the world behind his tinted window. His face was filled with utter peace and contentment. My heart brimmed with happiness, joy, pride and love. I haven’t been this fulfilled since I first met Dennis.

I am sad to see this summer come to an end. There will never be another “first summer together” when Annabelle was a baby, and Frankie was a handful. These are priceless, cherished times that I will never, ever forget. I don’t ever want my babies to grow up and leave home, for we won’t get to spend these precious respites together anymore. Nonetheless, I thank God for the benefits of my career, and look forward to next summer when Annabelle will be walking, and Frankie will really be talking – both ready to live summer to its fullest. And then, there’s the next summer, and the next summer and the next…

But there’s still a few hours left in today. Before everyone heads off to bed, we’ll play choo choo's yet again, watch Cars one more time, and maybe even eat ice cream for dinner. It is a very special day.

No comments: