I’m not going to make any apologies for being such a lousy blogger since last summer. Two children, full-time job, Dennis’ career change, child care reorganization, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the snowiest mid-West winter seen in years… I make no apologies.
However, I will say this: All this on one’s plate makes one FAR less reflective and even more spiritually removed (which is generally what leads me to being reflective). For that, I am ashamed. But, being Catholic, I have no – OK, I’m completely guilt ridden. Lord, forgive me. I’ve been to confession, moving on.
A few things I’d just like to throw out there…
My call: McCain/Huckabee 2008. I’m not in love with McCain, but it’s about the most balanced ticket I can derive from the basket of rotten apples from which we have to choose. Anything to beat that horrid Hillary beast, and the loose cannon that is Obama. Just putting it out there for discussion…
Of a more optimistic note: WE’RE GOING TO CALIFORNIA FOR SPRING BREAK!!! Well, 75% of us are. Dennis has to stay behind and work (and worry about fiery plane crashes involving his entire family). After seeing ten cars in the highway ditches within a one-mile stretch on the way to work this morning, and with another foot of snow falling at this very moment, I’m ready to get the hell's bells out of this place. Lord willing, I won’t find my way into a ditch in the remaining days of winter…
I did find my way into the front of one of my student’s cars the other day on the way to work. Actually, he found me and T-Boned (don’t I sound hip with the official car crash lingo that my students taught me?) the Pontiac. Most importantly, we were both unharmed. Of course, the damage is just $500 less than the worth of the car, so the jury is still out on whether it’s a total loss, or if we’ll have to polish the terd. As Knapp luck has it, it will probably turn out to be the latter. More Knapp irony: we JUST paid off the dang thing. We are so honored to have St. Murphy and his proverbial laws forever haunting us. Yes, haunting… some saints haunt.
In offspring news… Frankie has an extensive, ever-developing vocabulary that includes “Mama’s going poop” in public restrooms and a rendition of the word “frog” that sounds oddly similar to a forbidden four-letter word. He continues to love and serve his little sister, while making sure she doesn’t destroy his train table and only plays with the toys in which he’s lost interest. Annabelle is growing like a weed – wearing 18-month-sized clothes at 8 months?! No question, we grow big, healthy kids! She is about one dedicated afternoon from full bore crawling, and we have no doubt that she’ll be tearing apart my mother’s new house in March. Her precious personality continues to emerge, and we love every moment of it – except for the part where she’s learned that a piercing screech pretty much gets her whatever she wants. 100% girl already. It has, however, resulted in one of Frankie’s latest rantings: “No, baby! Stop! Shh!”
Other than that, it’s been a bit of a depressing winter. My Aunt Phyllis passed away last Friday from six malignant brain tumors. She just found out a week before Christmas and was given at least six months. I am regretful that I didn’t get to see her one last time. I had hoped to re-connect with her on her pro-life efforts and potentially carry on some of her work. She was a significant inspiration to me on this topic. Her passing is a sad reminder that the family of my childhood that I idealize as a part of the idea of returning home is not made up of who it used to be.
Dennis also lost his cousin Allen, who was in poor health, but passed away far too soon. Prohibitive winter weather kept him from attending the funeral, about which he was regretful.
Dennis also wasn’t able to see his friends over the Christmas break, which was a difficult sacrifice for him to make. His close friendships define much of who he is, and without that, he realized the pain of life marching on. Wouldn’t it be ideal if we could stop time during our college glory days, when life was simpler and everyone had time to “hang out”? If it weren’t for the awesomeness of our two beautiful children, we would both be quite content to spend our lives simply hanging out with friends. Those were certainly the days…
But, as the snow will melt and the warmth of the sun once again return come Spring, we are hopeful that days ahead are filled with happier times. We’ve recognized the possibility that the timing for our move to California may not be quite right yet, and that it may more wise for us to wait until our ducks fall into place than to force a life change out of our – OK, my own selfishness. If you know me, you know how difficult that pill was/is to swallow. I trust God’s will; however, that doesn’t stop me from praying that His will coincides with mine!
So, that’s the winter update from The Knapp Kin. I resolved to blog more often, but I learned upon Annabelle’s birth that I no longer make promises that require any diligence on my part. “Under promise, over deliver.” That’s my new mantra. Perhaps it would be nice if I delivered something once in awhile.
OK – off to watch the remaining results from today’s Super Tuesday. Gotta sound astute and knowledgeable when I engage the Democrat tsunami at work tomorrow – or Thursday. 98% chance of another snow day tomorrow. Have I mentioned lately how much I love Iowa winters?! OK, “Enough,” Dennis will say.
Good night.
Book Review: Mobituaries
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment