The kids and I were fortunate enough to escape to California for Spring Break for a much-needed respite. While at first plagued by a horrible flu bug that ran its course through our little family (and everyone whose path we crossed), and after a stressful trip to the ER with Annabelle our second day there, my perspective shifted from selfish escape to immense gratitude for the fundamental gift of health. Our week was salvaged and ultimately filled with good food, great friends and lots of warm sunshine.Once the flu emissions subsided, we spent much time simply enjoying the sunshine in my mom’s backyard. We picked dandelions, hunted for rocks and sticks, tasted dirt (while it looks the same, mud and chocolate taste VASTLY different!), and looked straight into the sunlight while scouting for airplanes flying overhead… Eventually my Mid-Western kids got the hang of CA living.
Of course, one of the sweetest treasures of childhood is blowing bubbles. Neither of our children is old enough to master the blowing responsibility of this activity; however, both are fully capable of bubble chasing and/or catching, depending on their respective mode of transportation. As I assumed my maternal bubble blowing duties, I recognized a simplistic metaphor.
After blowing each bubble, I wondered how long it would last. How far would it fly? What makes one bubble last longer or fly farther than another? I recognized how delicate each soapy orb was; how some clung in groups and other flew solo. The size and fragility of each bubble depended on the force of my breath, and its lifespan depended on the whims of the breeze. Some flew high and far, some vanished quickly – long before they could be fully enjoyed. There was no end to how many bubbles I could create for my children. As long as I continued to blow through the magic wand, more and more joy was created.
Then, it dawned on me: These bubbles are just like human lives. God breathes life into each one of us, and we are delicate, perfect creations seemingly floating through life by the Holy Spirit’s guidance. Except, He knows our fate: where we will go, how long we will live, every detail of our existence. Is God's sovereignty as simple as a mother blowing bubbles for her children? Certainly not. But, perhaps God is metaphorically that simple so that we may better understand Him. He creates every life on earth through love and happiness. Each bubble I created filled me with contentment because of the smiles they put on my children’s faces. He created each one of us for his own pleasure, and replicated that pleasure with a parallel for me to notice through the most basic of acts.
There is overwhelming peace in recognizing God’s existence in the most common activities of everyday life. I find such warm, comforting reassurance in knowing that He is all around us, all the time and in everything we do. Finding time to identify and appreciate Him is a treasure. And, when we get too caught up in the hubbub of life or our own selfish urgency to escape the cold climate for a week or so, He finds us where we are and reminds us of His omnipresence - using something as simple as a bubble floating in the wind on a warm, springtime afternoon.

1 comment:
I loved this! Bubbles are amazing..it is favorite activity for my preschoolers. I can't believe you were here!! I would have loved to have seen you! Hopefully we will catch you next time...
Post a Comment