It seems I have once again found myself on a job hunt... My life has this pattern of starting with a lot of toil and dedication, then heartache and turmoil and ultimately, a massive job hunt! But, this time it's not because of a trans-continential relocation, layoff or insurmountable boss challenge. This time, I'm looking for my first teaching job.
That may not sound very exciting to most, but in the world of education, you say "first teaching job," and you're speaking a magical language. You don't even have to explain, and every other educator knows what you're going through now, what you're going to experience "next year" (because, in "teacher," August is "next year") and with what frequency I may be driven to "the bottle" (aka serious drinking) after dealing with my first year of disrespectful students. They nod their heads in pity, and give that sympathetic look that means, "There's no way in hell I would ever wish to relive my first year of teaching again. Ever." Apparently, I'm not going to have any fond memories of my students "next year," but, the eternal optimist, I beg to differ.
Another major life change to report... Dennis is thinking about law school. Thinking about as in studying for his LSAT and picking schools to apply to this fall. How he went from priest to teacher to librarian back to teacher and then to lawyer, I'll never know, but it's not mine to question. I support him in no matter what he decides to do, with the simple hopes that his career makes him happy, challenged and fulfills his vocation to God. Of course, a lawyer's salary is secretly enticing, but it's of course a LONG way off until "the money is shown." I asked him if he could be both Catholic AND a lawyer... For some reason, he didn't appreciate my humor.
So, what am I getting at here? Well, on Relevent Radio the other day, they shared a prayer to St. Joseph. (Actually, it's more than a prayer - it's a novena. The word novena means nine, so the idea is you pray this prayer for nine days in devotion to your need or request. For example, we prayed a novena to St. Gerard, the patron saint of motherhood, when we were trying to get pregnant, and shazam, the Lord giveth us yon Frankenheimer). I digress... St. Joseph is the patron saint of workers, and can be particuarly prayed to when in need of career guidance, direction and support. As an added bonus, this prayer also seems to bear power against horrible and/or violent deaths, which is always a handy plus.
Here is the novena:
Prayer to St. Joseph
O St. Joseph whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your Heavenly power I may offer my Thanksgiving and Homage to the most Loving of Fathers. O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen
Say for nine consecutive mornings for anything you may desire. This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of Our Lord Jesus Christ. In 1500's it was sent by the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. Whoever reads this prayer or hears it or carries it, will never die a sudden death, nor be drowned, nor will poison take effect on them. They will not fall into the hands of the enemy nor be burned in any fire, nor will they be defeated in battle.
Make this prayer known everywhere.
Imprimatur
Most Rev. George W. Ahr
Bishop of Trenton
I love the imagery of St. Joseph holding the baby Jesus, "asleep in his arms... kissing his fine head," the same way we hold and kiss our own son. How beautiful is the holy family.
We will be praying this novena for direction and small miracles in our own developing career paths, with hopeful good news to share before "next year." Should you find it useful, please... beg, borrow and pray. Amazing things happen with the power of prayer.
Book Review: Mobituaries
6 years ago

1 comment:
Glad you found me on the internet! And good luck with your teaching. I've been an occasional substitute teacher for the past three years, and I enjoy it very much, although sometimes I do wish the class was mine, and I could do things MY WAY!
I also liked the bit about nicknames. Tristan, our youngest, was born on 07-11-01; my sister & her husband immediately dubbed him "Super Big Gulp." (get it? 7-11?) Fortunately, the name didn't last.
Post a Comment