Friday, April 13, 2007

Cruel False Alarms

Friday, I had another ultrasound that showed that Baby Knapp #2 already weighs seven pounds and measures 37 weeks (three weeks ahead of schedule). In other words, we’ve got another big tubby tub on our hands! Monday, I spoke to my doctor who said she suspected our c-section doctor (it’s a long story as to why we have two doctors) would probably want to deliver at 39 weeks.

WOO HOO!!!, I replied!!! One less week of no sleep, joint pain, backaches, charlie horses, muscle spasms – sign me up!!! But then… (There always seems to be a “but then” in our lives.)

…Yesterday, we met with our c-section doctor, and the earliest she would do it is May 12th. Since Dennis’ birthday is May 13th, and since his vacation and pre-arranged time off is planned for the week after, later works better in the schedule. So, my hopes were dashed, and I reluctantly agreed to tack on an extra week, and wait it out until my original due date, May 16th.

It has something to do with it being better for Baby’s breathing and lung development – blah, blah, responsible parenting, yadda, yadda. Yeah, yeah. I know the 16th is the best thing for baby, but as I’ve bought out the store’s supplies in TUMS and Extra Strength Tylenol, it’s hard to willingly agree to a whole ‘nother week of prenatal “paradise.” Boo hoo, poor me.

Since I went two weeks overdue with Frankie, she said it’s highly unlikely that I would go into premature labor. Although, anything’s possible. So, more realistically, my only remaining hope is for mandatory bed rest. To heck with worrying about unpaid sick days – I’m all set to have this baby!

Meanwhile, I spent my morning ADDING days to my classroom’s Baby Knapp Countdown poster, instead of the much-anticipated SUBTRACTING of days that I have been looking forward to. I suppose that someday, in the grand scheme of things, a week won’t really seem like such a big deal. HOWEVER, as for today, a week feels like an eternity!!!

No comments: