Friday, July 20, 2007

In the beginning, God longed for the trite

I laughed aloud when I stumbled upon this article. It's a list of some of the most popular Christian cliches, although they missed a few good ones (such as "overuse of the word PURPOSE" - perhaps this list is pre-Rick Warren). My personal favorite is, "a nudge of the Holy Spirit" - not "from" but "of." Sounds like what we used to do to my dad when he fell asleep in church.

This article encourages us to "concentrate on how to rephrase common Christian language into everyday, modern terms." It reminds me of Shane acknowledging that there is only a 50-word assortment of terms for Christian song writers to choose from - no wonder it all sounds the same after awhile.

Note the very subtle hint of cynicism in the author's tone. Although, I noticed there is no author listed. Sounds like someone had a bit of a spiritual breakdown, if you ask me.

3 comments:

Eric said...

I'm sad that my favorite *cough* Christian idiom isn't on there: love on.

Seriously, who ever got the idea in their head that love is a verb which takes a prepositional phrase?! Every single time I'm told that I just need to "love on" some particular person, the hair on the back of my neck stands straight up, and one of my internal organs (I think it may be my spleen, but I can't confirm that) starts to bleed internally.

But really, I'm not bitter. Just anal about language.

Rebecca Knapp said...

Funny - that's something I have to nag my high school students about: "Quit loving on (whomever) in class!" Or, perhaps the phrase is "love up on." Either way, it's a serious grammatical offense.

Thanks for visiting, Eric!

Faith said...

Eric, I am saddened to say that I nearly made this same observation. Truly a tragic coin of phrase that is too prevalent for my taste.