So, what has happened since May, sheesh...
- My second year of teaching ended. But not before a fellow teacher and I pursued another one of my hair-brained ambitions, BEARquest 2008. It was an all-school academic scavenger hunt team-building competition adventure, and it was an enormous success. Now if I could just figure out how to package it and sell it to schools all over the country... The wheels are turning.
- My third official summer vacation began - yeah! Summer vacations are so cool. Except, this year was odd. Most of Southeastern Iowa was flooded by the 500-year floods, and it got everyone's summer off to a bizarre start. Sandbagging, hoping your home wouldn't fall victim, helping those whose had. Not an experience I'd like to have again anytime soon. We still got a lot of family time in, and Dennis and I grew quite accustomed to getting to see each other every day, as our passers-in-the-night routine is again in full-swing once school started.
- Our air conditioner broke in the hottest week of summer. Sure, RIGHT before our big CA vacation, we rack up a $1500 air conditioner bill. I LOVE home ownership. Next stop, new roof.
- We drove to and from California in July. It was a whirlwind trip, with six days on the road, five days at the end of the rainbow (otherwise known as SoCal). We got to spend some quality time with family, friends and FINALLY got the kids to Disneyland for the first time - certainly won't be their last! Dennis was even sweet enough to plan a surprise/early birthday party for me with some old friends - what a keeper! ;-) It was hard to leave, especially knowing we were going back to one last Iowa winter before we'd be able to stay in Cali for good. At least, God willing, that's the plan.
- School started... yeah... I started the year off with a VERY bad attitude, mostly due to the anticipated Iowa winter previously mentioned. It's gotten better. I've isolated myself a bit from much of the negativity and spend my days focusing on better lesson plans, lectures for Kirkwood and keeping my classroom in tip top shape. There's only 148 school days (not including makeup snow days) left of the year, so I don't know what anyone is complaining about...
- I got a third job. After a three-week long interview and assessment process, I was invited to be a professor for Ashford University's online courses! I'm approved to teach 23 different business, communications and technology courses, and I am very much looking forward to this new medium of education. Should be a fun experience, and no one is complaining about a little extra income!
- I turned 34. Or is it 33? I've lost track, and who really cares anymore. The 30s are awesome, and my life is such a blessing each and every day - beautiful kids, a loving and hysterical husband and good friends (albeit too far away). That's birthday present enough. However, Dennis gave me one more amazing gift - TWO whole hours shopping at the mall WITHOUT the kids/stroller! I, of course, was a wreck the entire time, but honestly, it felt gooooood. He also got me a guitar for $25 on eBay. Random, but way cool.
- Dennis and I have become Facebook addicts. It's really bad. I mean, REALLY bad. But, it's been really great to get back in touch with so many old friends and family members. You can find me or Dennis there just about every day. Yeah, it's that bad.
- We've also become politically active. For the first time ever, we have bumper stickers on our cars and a sign in our yard. We even attended the McCain/Palin rally in Cedar Rapids a couple weeks ago, and I accidentally showed up to work looking like Sarah Palin one day. Why? Because 1) it's historical, how can we not be a part of history, but 2) we watch way too much Fox News and get WAY too emotional about all the ignorance and apathy out there. In short, the latest economic crisis has been hell for us. Neither one of us is getting any good sleep. Tonight's VP debate won't be doing my sleep deprivation any favors either. I'm looking forward to November 5th when we can all be friends again, and when hearing the word "liberal" doesn't make me sick to my stomach.
Oh yeah, and then there's the kids!
Frankie...
- Started pre-school on his third birthday! The prerequisite for admission was being 100% potty-trained. The first week was a little touch and go, as we sent him to school in underwear and plastic training pants. He was only about 65% there, but managed to hold it until he got home each day. It's worked wonders, as now he's about 95% trained -- all except for when we go on road trips, then the poop festivities begin. He also inherited my childhood interest in checking out every bathroom in every restaurant, shop and mall we visit. I remember my parents complaining about the same thing on a trip through Germany when I was a kid -- now I understand their pain.
- He thinks he's a lion. No, seriously. The kid crawls around the house CONSTANTLY roaring like a lion. Especially when he thinks he's in trouble for something, his response is to roar back in defense. I never thought "Please stop roaring" or "Let's pretend to be a boy!" would be a part of our parenting routine, but here we are. It's actually pretty funny and entertaining -- until you need to convince the lion to poop on the potty.
Annabelle...
- Walks! Of course, she took her first, official, unassisted step on my first day back to work. A long summer of work, encouragement, bribery... and what does she do? Wait until I'm gone! Nonetheless, Dennis caught it on video, and her toddling continues to melt my heart.
- And she talks! As we had expected for a 1) girl and 2) second child, Annabelle is talking much earlier than Frankie did. Her first word was "doggie," but her FAVORITE word (and pastime) is "SHOES!" First word upon waking up is always "shoes," and she insists they be put on -- matching or not. Total girl, through and through. Her repertoire also includes: "bless you" (said for both sneezing and coughing), "thank you," "Mama," "Daddy," "Spanky" (Frankie), "Aah-belle," "Cutie," "baby" and our favorite... "Nuh-O". She is also working quite diligently on her first sentence, "I am a pretty girl." As if she needs any convincing.
Unfortunately, 2008 has not entirely been a good year for those around us. My good friend, Darci's, mother was diagnosed with and is battling brain cancer. She remains in our prayers daily. Dennis' Aunt Dee passed away in August from stage four cancer throughout her body. She died the day after her brothers (Dennis' dad and uncle) brought her back to Iowa. May she rest in God's peace. In August, our dear friends, Erik and Faith, lost their precious baby Katherine who was born at just 24 weeks. We attended a memorial service with them last weekend, and our heart is still broken for their loss. At the same time, our neighbor (allegedly, although she denies it) attempted suicide, and her depression and alcoholism were unveiled to all in the neighborhood. I was first to find her along with the police. Messed me up pretty good for awhile.
In short, it's been a busy time since May, which is my primary excuse for slacking on the blog writing. But, winter is coming, and I'm going to need something else to keep me occupied. In search of stress-relieving distractions to get through winter, I asked for a guitar for my birthday, and, as I mentioned, Dennis obliged. We started cheap before investing in something else that will never get used, and I am excited to strum away with the kids. So, with a little luck, between blogging, Facebook, guitar learning and a bit 'o fun with the fam', this winter may fly by faster than ever. God willing, God willing.
Thanks for reading, and welcome back!



No comments:
Post a Comment